Wednesday, July 18, 2012

10 random mashup challenges to begin with

challenge n° 8: "You look like a gypsy."

Political correctness is a quite problematical theme in our lifes. While my husband really believes in fairness, transported through language, I maintain the position, that you should be allowed to call a spade a spade. He simply calls that "being rude". I know, there might be some ambigous sayings and idioms in my vocabulary or rather generally in the South Tyrolean vocabulary. I tell my daughter: "You look like a gypsy!" (yeah, I'm not proud of it but it happens), cause her undershirt is sticking out. Or the kids are playing that very popular game called "Who is afraid of the black man?" In those situations, my husband rolls his eyes and I look around, hoping, that none of the aforementioned ethnic groups are nearby.


No comments:

Post a Comment